Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Meritage - Good Times

I am just about ready to pop Jim Cramer one. I've been watching too much NBC lately. He's all over the place, neither the Today show, nor primetime are safe from his screeching brand of financial advisory. From what I've gathered the economy is in the toilet and we're probably all going to end up by the side of some railroad track heating Hobo Soup remembering the good ol' days when the credit card collection agents phoned us at work, begging for the dollars we didn't have. Soon the jackals will be at the door, wielding blunt interments and accepting only Euros.


"Ahh... remember when I drove my car? Sure, it makes a decent jungle gym for the kiddies, but those days before I had to hoof it to work 17 miles each way.... Oh, those were the glory days."

So, yes, fine - there are some things that kind of suck right now. It seems like there's a ticker constantly flashing over my head indicating my shrinking checking account balance and the steady flow of incoming bills. Things keep getting more expensive, but really, is it that bad?

Maybe it's just me. I have a small car, so $45 to fill up, while irritating, isn't going to leave me homeless. Thankfully, I'm not anywhere near foreclosure, neither is anyone else that I know. We still get together every now and again and have some laughs. I'm just glass half full type person, unless of course that glass is full of wine, then it's just gone.

The one major cut back has been more meals at home, less out on the road. Matt's birthday came and went and all we had to show for it were some crusty leftover pork chops and a finely pruned herb garden. I vowed as soon as my paycheck came in, we were going to have a really fine meal. I'm happy to report, my vow fulfilled, there is a new fine dining destination in downtown St. Paul.
I'd enjoyed my one experience at Au Rebours and had been sad to hear that they hadn't been able to make it, but was wary of the new restaurant that took its place. I'd eaten Russell Klein's food a few times while he was working at W.A. Frost and had always left disappointed. I knew it had to be a "It's me, not you" sort of problem because everyone else I spoke to seemed to rave about the food. I couldn't figure out what I was missing.


Perhaps, what was missing, was a place to call his own. I must have been receiving food from the fledglings while at Frost because everything that had at Meritage was superb.

I began with a glass of Prosecco and was delighted by the fizzy little droplets of spring in my glass. The aromas were all bright peachy, pear and golden. The flavor was refreshingly fruity with hints of musky whimsy at the back of my throat. It was refreshingly chilled and light on my tongue.

To amuse my palate I ordered the tuna tartar taco, Matt got the Bloody Mary oyster shooter and we agreed that we'd better try the pommes frites, too.





The raw tuna was lightly dressed with a creamy sauce, loaded into a taro chip and placed upon a bed of shaved spring carrots. The entire thing was just amazing. It was a revelation after the disappointing attempt at a similar dish when I'd dined at Sanctuary. This was heavenly. It was light, sweet and obviously ocean-y. The sweet little carrots were almost like nature's candy, so naturally sugary, they complimented the sweet, raw meat.

Matt chugged his shooter and stared at me, eyes round and bulging from behind his glasses, "Oh, you have to get one of these." When the waitress returned we ordered our entrees and he asked for two more shooters. He was right, I did need to try it. They were silky. Again, there was a faint, fresh taste of the sea, this time it was highlighted with spiky flavors of horseradish and bright saucy fresh tomato juice. "I could eat 6 of these," said Matt.


The fries were good, not great, but the Bearnaise sauce was exquisite. Lemony butter with globs of fresh tarragon jacked up the fry flavor to fancy. The people declaring that Salut's pommes frites are the best are in for some serious competition. These are the same as what they've got, but made by a much more talented hand.

Matt ordered the rabbit saddle stuffed with bunny confit over summer vegetables, while I ordered the chicken. I know, who orders chicken at a restaurant of this caliber? I had heard that this was the crispiest chicken skin that I would find in town. I had to know. Chicken skin is second only to bacon at my alter of the Fat Salty Crisp.


Logically, I know that this is simply chicken under a brick. I should be able to do something similar to this at home, but I know that I'm never going to. For one, I do not have a brick and don't really know how I would go about getting one. Secondly, it could never possibly be this good done in my home with that abomination of a kitchen. Every bite - every nano inch of skin was seared and puffed up crispy like a cracklin. There wasn't a single soggy or chewy bite of chicken. The meat was juicy and after a swim in the pool of juices, delicious.

The barely sauteed spinach was flecked with crunchy bits of salt and pepper. The potatoes were luscious with hunky cloves of melting, roasted garlic.


The rabbit was expertly prepared, there's no question that I would never attempt such a meal at home, either. The tender young meat was wrapped around the succulent confit over bright, incredibly fresh veggies and smudged with a springy fennel sauce. The meat, tender and lovely, the sauce, sprightly, together? Food alchemy. Each flavor bounced off the other, singing springtime carols and doing the mambo. It was a wonderful specimen, highlighting the way that local, fresh flavors of the season always compliment each other best.

Ah, yes, summer is here and indeed, the l-i-v-i-n is easy. Our rich Midwestern soils are springing forth all matter of early season veggies and herbs, each flavor encapsulated in this meal, raw, moist earth, crunchy, dewy, tart, feathery tastes. Now is the time to celebrate this usually chilly patch of land we call home. The promise of wholly locally sourced meals shimmer on the horizon like an oasis. All those long barren winter nights seem to melt away from memory, replaced by fennel fronds and garlic scapes.

We should have had dessert, but I was stuffed at this point. I was talked into ordering a cocktail, though. It was made with Hendrick's gin, lingonberries and elderflower. It was sweet-tart and crisp as a new twenty dollar bill. I took a long sip and settled back into my seat.

I was chatting with our server, Jenn, who is regarding the upcoming Republican National Convention with some trepidation. She said already, people are beginning to arrive in town for it and the restaurant is expected to be packed nightly. Although she's looking forward to the uptick in tip money, she's a little nervous about how she's supposed to be getting to work. The anarchists are constantly threatening the bus schedules, and all parking ramps are going to be closed. Things are looking grim for the locals - tight crowds and big money as far as the eye can see. It will be difficult, but hopefully once the big show is over, people will remember the little gem of a restaurant located in the heart of downtown St. Paul.

I take comfort in that. I'm also heartened that between Meritage, the Strip Club and Heartland, the "other" twin city finally has some achievements to brag about. And, while I know that times are tight and I'm really going to be missing the loot I spent on this dinner a couple of weeks from now, I'm determined not to get too worked up about it. Sure, times are a little difficult and scary, but I've got the love of a good man, great friends, healthy family and a tummy full of the crispiest chicken this small town girl has ever tasted. I'd say things are gonna be alright.

3 Comments:

At 11:53 AM , Blogger andy said...

Excellent post--I was expecting a little Michael Pollan excerpt in your Ode to Minnesota Soil paragraph, though. Defend our Food!

 
At 11:21 AM , Blogger poetics said...

I had the rabbit there a while back too, it was excelent indeed!

 
At 8:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

good writing as always. I came on looking for a good bday resteraunts, thanks a bunch

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home