Wednesday, February 07, 2007

On Top of Spaghetti

Retraction: Benett's is NOT GOOD they are HALF ASSED
If you're a long-time reader you might remember my very first rant which really boils down to there is nothing worse than going to a restaurant and being on the business end of a half assed experience. You're out money, time, it does the exact opposite of what I'm usually trying to acheive - relaxation and enjoyment of food. I don't like it! I'm not a competitive person by nature, but seriously, either you're in it to win it or you are in my way. When I first wrote up Bennett's by my new place I thought they were off to a great start. Apparently things are only good when the owner is on site and on the floor.
Last Thursday Matt and I went in there (after I said, nah, not the Muddy Pig, something different.) I had a particularly horrendous day at the office and I knew that I was soon in for a whole week of atrocities in cube life. I wanted and escape and I wanted a good drinks. Since it was five billion below zero I didn't want to get a martini and ordered... I'm embarrassed to say, but I guess I have to. I ordered a Pepperwood Pinot Noir! Gahg. It was... well, it wasn't Thunderbird, but closer to that than Camus. The waitress took so long to come and get our drink order that we almost left. And there she is, in all her Naugahyde glory, looking like 70 and probably pushing 40. Everything took forever and nothing was good (except the Ranch dressing, but how is that worth going to a restaurant for??) My "wild" rice soup was white rice and heavy cream with a couple of chunks of chicken tossed it. The salad was ice burg with canned black olives and chewy, mealy tomatoes. Matt got a $12 plate of spaghetti and meatballs. I would bet that plate cost them a dollar fiddy to put together. Spaghetti, jarred sauce and meatballs made solely out of HAMBURGER!! Would it kill you to throw a little sausage in there? A piece of garlic bread or something FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY!!!
This was serious. I was working myself up into a full blown hissy. I needed booze, but do you think that she ever came back? No! As Matt said, "Well, she's pretty swamped." (cue crickets) We were the only diners in the area. If they continue at this rate, I see that becoming a trend.
Thank God I have Heartland to fall back on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home