Wednesday, September 14, 2005

I Have Returned!

Sorry for the month long absence. I was busy getting married. I had no idea how much the actual wedding day would take over every aspect of my life. It was a very nice day and I can't tell you how glad I am that it's over.
Because we were in Northern Minnesota there wasn't a lot of opportunities to go out to eat. In Duluth we went to the patio at Baja Billy's a new Tex Mex place that has recently replaced what used to be Bennett's Sunset Grill. It's outside of the Figter's Brewery complex and affords what is probably the best restaurant view in the entire city. Word on the street is that the food is good. The problem is that the waitress we had almost never came back. We decided to forgo food, and I sucked down a really sweet maragarita before taking refuge in my room, a bottle of Big House Red and a Sammy's Pizza.
The other restaurant we went to not once, but twice, two days in a row. I'd heard that the Whisltling Bird in Gilbert, MN was a special treasure, a rasta in the rough. The talk was true. We were greeted when we arrived by the owner Toney. He was raving about their special of the night, a champagne chicken. When my husband asked what that was, the mysterious answer was, "Very good!!" He then proceeded to place the napkin on Matt's lap for him. Which visible shook him a little bit. I guess he was wondering where this big, black guy was heading in the lap region.
We ordered the Jerk platter and it was hands down, the best Jerk I have ever had. The butterflied grilled shimp were done to opulecent perfection. The chicken breast, which I was admitedly worried about when I saw the sort of boneless skinless chicken meat that dieters buy at the grocery store was so succulent. The bacon wrapped pork loin defies explination. It was just perfect. All was served with a side of their comforting Jerk sauce. I could have taken a little more heat, but we are in the home of Poticia and Pasties. Good food, just don't get too crazy with the spices!
The next night my Mom and sister were joining us, so we convinced them that they had to try this place out. Toney again came over to the table and again placed Matt's napkin in his lap. Matt was again disturbed and I thought it was hysterical. Meanwhile, my mom was enamoured with the gesture. She and I split the special of the evening Prime Rib with a chipotle cream sauce. It was so rich and was probably about 2000 calories, but what did I care? I was on vacation and I was determined to eat my way through it. We began with the appetizer sampler, which was somewhat unremarkable, although the jerk wings on it were fantastic. Matt ordered the mango spiced wings which were ruined by a sickly sweet sauce that was entirely lacking in spice. My sister ordered a seafood pasta dish that I think was lobster, shrimp and linguini in about a cup of melted butter. All things that she adores, so she was happy. I wouldn't say that a road trip to specifically get to this place is warrented, but if every you find yourself in the Gilbert, Eveleth, Virgina area, you gotta see this place and try the Jerk chicken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home