Friday, August 21, 2009

I'm Starving

Okay, not really. And it's not even really funny given the current state of things. I can read that the economy might maybe sorta kinda - maaayyy beeee rebounding, but it sure as hell doesn't feel like it. I feel like I haven't even been out to eat in months - MONTHS I tell you. So unfair.

I have been to a couple of places that I considered updating you on, but really they weren't enough to write home about.


Here's a recap:

The new Brasa on Grand is lovely - it's wonderful to finally have some good food options in St. Paul. I highly recommend it. It's almost identical to the NE one.

I also went to the new Parasole venture, Burger Jones. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't all that great. It's hard to write more beyond, "Meh." I do appreciate cheese curds and gravy on my fries, but the burger only being offered Pink or Not Pink left me with a Pink Only in One Corner How is That Possible burger. Not to mention caramelized onions that while tasty, had the mouth feel of earthworms.

You know, I remember when Ike's first opened up downtown and a $9 burger was a special occasion something. Now we're being charged $8 or $9 bucks a pop and we don't even get FRIES with that. Seriously? That's supposed to be the new consumer driven food find - our BARGAIN dining experience? What the hey? It did not feel bargainable. It felt more akin to making out with a stranger behind the dumpster of the Turf Club after a Little Man show and too many cigarettes. It's not quite enough to send you screaming for the showers, but maybe another bump or two after you get home from the bar will help block out the memories from after the band ripped into their second set. (That little guy can rock! Devil Horns WOOO!!) Anyone else? Just me?

Anyway, here's the thing. I don't think I can write here anymore. That makes me profoundly depressed and that's why I've been avoiding saying anything. I love going out, trying new food and actually having a few folks kind enough to listen to those opinions, while occasionally stroking my overly inflated ego.

When I started, I was lucky enough to have a job with a big, fat expense account and some seriously fun coworkers to blow through it with. Last I heard, that company has all but gone under. Luckily, I have a day job. Unfortunately, Matt doesn't. Then there was the great spawning of '09. I did have a kid - and he is seriously awesome AWESOME with big, fat drooly sparkles. So, I've got all that goin' on at home right now. I'd love to be able to keep going out and trying new places, but there isn't much to try. I keep reading the restaurant news around town and there isn't anything I'm interested in. The new restaurant at the Guthrie... maybe... I'm not big on seafood when we're surrounded on all sides by land, though.

I'm just rambling now (see!? You missed me.) Hopefully, things will change. Hopefully, you'll have me back. In the meantime, hang in there. Times are tight out there. We'll get by. 'Til then, I'll be out back drinking Thunderbird and savoring my tasty regrets. Take care, you guys!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home