Thursday, October 30, 2008

Finally!

I live. The last few times I've tried to post stupid blogger wouldn't let me. Admittedly, I haven't tried all that hard, or all that often. Like pretty much everyone else in the world the disposable income is running a little short over here. Also, it's not seasonal mood problems, but I've got something going on that results in my watching hours of TV marathons (so far, I've watched the entirety of The Stand, Top Chef, Biggest Loser and a string of Steven King movies from Christine to Pet Cemetery. That little boy in that movie is no freaking joke. Scared the CRAP out of me. Geeeawwwhhhd.)
So, more on me and my laziness some other time. I'm not sure about elaborating on my medical reason for malaise on the Internet. For one - who cares, right? Suck up and get to eating, chicky! Secondly, I wonder if occasionally I should dabble in that thing called privacy. While I'll publish my underwear color on Facebook, Matt refuses to even start an account with them for fear of the alien monkeys stealing his thoughts, or something like that. Honestly, I stopped paying attention because the commercial break was over. M-o-o-n! That spells shut the L up.

On the food front, I have been out. I went to Barrio twice with the intention of writing it up. The problem is that both experiences were totally - meh. The food was good, but what I had wasn't great and I tried damn near everything. The prices seem relatively cheap, unless you go hungry. Eric and I were quite hungry on our first trip there and ended up laying down $70 and only a drink for each of us. Nothing made me come close to swooning. The queso fundido made me a little angry. $7.50 for a thin layer of warm cheese and a dixie cup full of chips is not my idea of value.

The service was fine, the room is pretty cool, but it just wasn't anything that excited me. (Do I blame the malaise?) Judging by the crowd, they do not need my endorsement. They have some prime downtown real estate and both nights I went the place was packed. The room is super cool and the lighting is flattering for both food and first dates. This is the view from the balcony.



I think out of all of the food, beer, wine and mixed cocktails the best two items were the homemade guacamole and the blackberry mojito. That drink was divine.

I guess I figure, if you're into Solera or looking really good while shelling out a couple of extra bucks, then this is a great spot for you. If you're feeling poor and hungry, these aren't the tacos you seek.

What I'm looking for is food inspiration to remove my ass from the couch, but so far not much has struck my fancy. I've been meaning to get to the new Pop, but it's downtown St. Paul, who goes there, right? Oy, this complacency must end before the snow falls and I really ramp up my excuses not to leave the house.

I'll do my best and keep you posted. Until then, I've ordered my Thanksgiving turkey from the St. Paul Farmer's Market, carefully packed my own eggs at Mississippi Market and wring my hands in evil glee as the new Trader Joe's rises from the dust between Lexington and Randolph near my house. Until I get a few more pennies in my pocket I'm left to my own home cooking devices and since my oven is a prop on loan from Evil Dead 4, I'm pretty much screwed.

2 Comments:

At 2:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone buy her dinner for crying out loud!

 
At 3:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree.
the guac -- so good.
the service -- so-so.
the bill -- so huge.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home