Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Bulldog in Nordeast



After a particularly horrendous couple of days at work, it does a soul good to order a glass of wine and have this presented to you. Monday pummeled me. I did everything I could think of to make me healthy and feel happier. I ate well, didn't drink at all and even went for a run. Let me tell you, that 20 minutes of pulse pounding, breathless wheezing and furious punching away at my MP3 player should have given me the healthy shot of endorphins that I'd rightly earned. It was the longest 20 minutes of this spring. Pretty (gasp) trees (wheeze) bloom (gack!)awafjfuuuckkghghhghghghhaaaaa!!
But, it didn't. Instead I inhaled a bowl of ramen and passed out fifteen minutes into Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. Refreshed, if sore, I figured Tuesday has got to better.

It was not. Tuesday was the snot crusted toddler of the week. People whining, moaning, misbehaving and throwing temper tantrums all in my direction. It's enough to questions ones love of humanity. Sure, it's not like I've ever supported the United Way or volunteered for anything more than a beer run, but I like to think I'm a good person. Not necessarily a people person, but a good friend to have around when the time bell rings. This day did not agree with me so I decided not to agree with it.

Eff it!! I'm cash poor from too much fun this weekend, but when has that ever stopped me before? I grabbed Matt & told him we were trying something new. My friend Heath had been going on and on about the amazing burgers at Bulldog's in North East. Since the healthy tact didn't work, I would go back to my old reliable mood enhancers: food and booze.

I ordered their Zinfandel and got the above glass, except fuller. I didn't think to take a picture before sucking down my first glug. It was filled to the rim! Now, that's my kinda pour. Plus, it was a delicious wine, tasting like robust black cherries. It was heaven. I smirked at the people across the street at sad little Whitey's. I've eaten there plenty of times. Their wine sucks. Heh heh.

We ordered the Junk Burger and some of their wings. I was ravenous, but that big, juicy wine was a great appetizer. Ozzie Osbourne was blaring in my ears. I threw up the horns and gnashed my teeth. GRRR!!! I am VICIOUS!! RAWR! Our food arrived from the expressionless waiter and I dove right in. The Junk burger is layered with butter lettuce, tomato, red onion, sauteed mushrooms, bacon and a super garlicky aioli on a crispy fresh bun. It was garnished with an olive that I would have eaten had Matt not crushed in and sunk in into the bottom of his Grainbelt. Jerk. St. Paul Martini my ass!

Anyway, the burger, it was amazing. The use ground, locally sourced Kobe beef and all of the ingredients were wonderful (except the tomato, that was pale and wussy, but they're not in season now.) Each bite rendered the distinct flavor of each ingredient. The beef was tender and beefy, the sauteed mushrooms were juicy and woody, the bacon was smoked so perfectly, you could taste an almost maple syrupy background, the butter lettuce was crispy and green, fresh like spring buds popping into leaves. The creamy aioli was fluffy heaven zipping with garlic tang on the back of your tongue. It.was.so.good. Oh my God in heaven!! It IS the best burger in town! Holy crap! Now I have to tell Heath that he was right.

I think part of the reason I haven't been there before is that I did have a fondness for Boom, the previous tenant. Although I don't think Boom really cared for me. Laura had taken me there for a Boom burger, a $5 good burger with french fries served with a Parmesan mayonnaise. Oh, yeah, that was fat on fat fantastic. But the sweet boy working the bar kept glaring at us, as if we were to blame for the lack of cute boys bellied up. It wasn't my fault! I was stinkin' the place up with my hetero woman vibe. Well, whatever, fine burger, but really uncomfortable gazes.

This burger shames the Boom burger boys. I'm sorry, but it's true. No other burger in town has satisfied me as much as this one. I can't wait to get another one! Next time I'll try ordering up the jazzed up truffled fries with truffle oil and aoili. The plain fries weren't all that great, or anything special.

You'll also notice that I'm not talking about the wings. It's almost unfair. Nothing could follow up that burger. It'd be like Cher opening for those Walk 10,000 miles dudes. You can't compete! (Shut up! Cher is awesome!) The wings were inedible. The skin was gooey and uncooked tasting. The sweet and sour glaze was burned and the one bite I did take wedged a sesame seed between my teeth. But who cares! Did I tell you about the burger!? I can't wait to get back and try more of their food.

I ordered up another chalice of wine and savored the moment. Softer sounds of Rod Stewart and the Faces drifted out of the speaker above and I gave the rest of that day the bird.


2 Comments:

At 9:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such restraint not ordering the truffle fries! I'm telling myself you saved them for when I join you there. Truffle fries dunked in garlic aioli - who needs a man!

 
At 1:00 PM , Blogger bobbyw8 said...

Mmmmmm my mouth is watering. Must go there. Let's go sometime with J. Lo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home