Thursday, April 24, 2008

Greatest Lunch of the Year

It's really a crime that I had to work at all yesterday. I haven't even gotten the convertible out for a proper tool around town! Still, dedicated employee that I am, I toiled away at copying competitive ads for a good 8 hours straight. At noon I bounded out the front doors into the glorious sun. I was actually a little warm and wished I hadn't worn my black t-shirt, but instead chosen something a little splashy - a sassy raspberry top with puffy sleeves, or that blouse that looks like Cinco de Mayo threw up on it.


I hiked out of downtown and over to Nordeast where Surdyk's was waiting for me. I picked up some green grapes, Levain bread from Rustica and a French imported brie. I hiked back to a little spot over looking the Mississippi and unwrapped my feast. The luscious brie was oozing over the waxed paper. I the crusty bread exploded as I tore an end hunk off. I dug it into the soft cheese and popped it into my mouth. The slight sourdough tang of the bread melted into the creamy cheese. I followed that with a super sweet grape that burst into my mouth and coaxed just a little more flavor out of the cheese.


Below I watched a Coot and a couple of Woodducks navigate the debris hung up in the fast current. The only thing I was missing to make this the perfect midday meal was that split of champagne.



3 Comments:

At 10:08 AM , Blogger The Slacker Mom said...

Next time grab a Cognac Brownie- they are delicious.

 
At 1:15 PM , Blogger bobbyw8 said...

Hey Joy - that does sound like the greatest lunch of the year. I need to work close to Surdyk's and the river. We just need more sunny, warm lunch hours now instead of these gloomy 35 degree days at the end of April (wtf?). Good to see you on Friday night... and remember, Yvette is the link between them! How can we incorporate that movie into a write-up... guess we just need to go somewhere that serves sharks-fin soup and monkey's brains.

Bobby

 
At 2:04 PM , Blogger Joy Estelle said...

And monkey brains, although popular in Cantonese cuisine, is not often to be found in Washington D.C.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home